Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ending Start

One semester is ending and another is starting, and it seems like there isn't near enough time between the two to get my life sorted out.  The two classes I took this semester nearly did me in.  To tell the truth, I haven't felt completely "caught up" since perhaps the second or third week of the semester--and I'm still struggling to power through to the end.  It seems like I just manage to get the work for one class finished and I'm suddenly behind in the next.  It's a terrible place to be in and one that I've never really been in before.  I don't ever remember college being this hard--but then I wasn't working a full-time job, I didn't have a house and my hobbies mostly included drinking!

I learned a lot in Tim Wendel's novel writing workshop this semester, and got further in my novel than I thought I would.  While I've essentially rewritten the 20,000 words I had already written, I'm happier with the new 20,000.  I was able to take the best parts of what I already had and weave them together with new scenes using new techniques and ideas.  The plot also went in an entirely different direction, which I'm actually okay with.  My characters are a little more round and interesting, and I think I might have an idea of where it all ends--if I can ever push my characters into getting there (although shove is more like it).

I'd like to go into the fall semester with a revised first draft of my novel, something that I can do something with rather than let sit in a drawer gathering dust.  I think if I can do that, I'd feel free to start working on the other half dozen short story ideas that I started writing this semester (only to realize I really didn't have time to be working on anything other than my novel)!

I also finally read Castro's Curveball, which I truly enjoyed.  Someday when I get ten minutes to myself (and my brain is actually in working order) I'll add a review to Amazon...

So this summer I'm only taking one course.  I'm suffering from the niggling effects of burnout and I know something has to give.  With the days being longer and the weather so nice, it's not going to be my cycling, and since the mortgage needs to be paid and groceries bought, it can't be my job--all of which leaves school.  So I'll see you all in Bill Black's Masterwork's class--and hopefully catch you in workshop in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment