Tuesday, May 10, 2011

When Short Becomes Not-So-Short

A while ago, I set out to write a short story.

Once upon a time, I had 1,500 words that I really liked.  I liked the voice, the character, the general track the story was taking... and then the wheels came off the caboose and it barreled down the ravine and into a burning heap at the bottom.

It's now hovering just over 14,000 words and it's nowhere near finished.

Good God, I've created a monster.  Or at least a novella.  I really, really hope this isn't a novel.  I don't need another one of those.  I'm sitting at about 25,000 words for the one currently in progress.  Please for the love of literature, give me my short story back!

I'm figuring I'm maybe 75% finished.  Which means this is probably going to be 18,000-19,000 words.  Sigh.  Why can't I write an actual short story?

No comments:

Post a Comment