Thursday, July 14, 2011

They like me! They really, really like me! Or, how I got to finally be published.

Good News:  Gargoyle Magazine picked up my short story, "Six-Shooter", for publication in an upcoming issue!
Caveat:  It might not actually hit the stands until the Summer 2013 issue or issue #59, whichever comes first.

It's going to be a long wait on this one.  But--I'm willing to wait because Gargoyle is such an awesome publication and I'm totally jazzed to be a part of it.

"Six-Shooter" is--well, it's hard to explain.  It's experimental fiction when I don't normally write experimental fiction.  It's a voice I fell in love with and struggled with how to tell the story.  At first, I wasn't even sure what story I was trying to tell, as evidenced by my first draft with an opening paragraph that has nothing to do with the focus of the story.  I revamped the opening paragraph and made (in my opinion) a bold move to remove all flashback and backstory from the main text and present it as a kind of subtext.  The end result, or at least what I hope what the end result is, is that you get the main story with one focus and the subtext with another focus.  It's how these two stories intersect and how you choose to read them that makes it interesting, in my opinion.  But you know, it's art, so readers might get something totally different out of it, and that's part of the beauty of the whole thing.

Now to sit back and wait for editors of other publications to realize what a creative genius I am... The money should start rolling in any day now, right?

Countdown to 2013 in three-two-one...

No comments:

Post a Comment